Thursday, September 13, 2007

History at the airport

So whatever. My son is obsessed with all things "Army". His great-grandfather served in WWII and has told many a tale to my little one. When I learned that three WWII bombers would be coming to the New Bedford airport I knew my son would love it and it would be a great learning experience for him.

After school, we arrived at the airport to an already large crowd of onlookers. I paid $20 for myself and my two children to be able to go and see the planes. The children were able to climb up and walk through each place, each step a world of fascination and exclamation. I heard things like "OMG! That's where the gunners sat", "Look that's where they kept the parachutes", and "Mom, look here's where the bombs are".

We met WWII veterans who were thrilled to see such excitement in the little ones and they were quick to explain things about the planes and tell us of their service to our Country. Each story a great tale of bravery and hero ship. My son was amazed to learn that real live "army soldiers" lived among us.

After touring each plane (twice LOL!) we made our way up to the observation deck to get another view. Here the kids were amazed at the size of the planes and were beyond thrilled to watch a few Cape Air planes land and take off. A true adventure, indeed.
As we walked back to the car, my son grabbed my hand and said "Mom thank-you for taking me there. It was so cool". Ah, the best moments of motherhood.
I totally recommend taking your family to see the planes and talk with veterans. It is a great experience.
- Southcoast Blogger




2 comments:

PJ said...

Usually sometime in November, the New Bedford Pilots Association offers plane rides at NB Airport. Proceeds go to charity ($20/adults, your kids would probably be free). I know it's not a bombing mission, but it's cool to see your house from up there. And depending on how often you fly, the look in kids' eyes is worth 3X the price.

Anonymous said...

I meant "how often you fly OTHER THAN at the event at the airport." You only get one ride that day for the fee. Great day.