Thursday, September 6, 2007

Dartmout Schools and Snobbery

So whatever. I've been reading all the articles on the "Dartmouth Budget Crisis" and I can't help but gloat a little. Perfect little Dartmouth, perfect little South Dartmouth is in trouble.

I grew up in Dartmouth, my parents grew up in Dartmouth. I worked for the recreation Department during the summer all through high school and a couple of years in college. I still love many, many things about Darmouth.

I could send my children to Dartmouth schools, but instead I choose to give them a better quality education at Holy Family Holy Name in New Bedford (you know that City with a budget surplus that Dartmouth residents snub their noses at?).

I made a conscious descision to keep my children FAR away from Dartmouth Schools, not because of a lack of education, or the very predictable buget crisis, but because of the SNOBBY attitude.

I remember what it was like growing up in the midst of the SNOBBY attitude. It is North Dartmouth v. South Dartmouth and who has what. You were only "cool" if you were preppy and had the latest Espirit bag or Bennetton sweatshirt.

Who gives a flying you know what! Life is not about things, popularity is completely overrated.

I was lucky enough to have parents to who taught me better and growing up I had friends from all walks of life, but I remember. I remember being taunted because I was friends with someone from *gasp* Cross Roads. I remember being looked down upon by my seventh grade science teacher, Mrs Bailey (BTW, Mrs. Bailey you are the reason I hated science from that point on, I almost failed science in high school because of your snobby better-than-thou-attitude).

I remember the kids who thought they were better than everyone else bacause they had more or better stuff. Some of those idiots can now be found at Miller's Homeport any saturday night, taking up space talking about the "glory days" of high school. That big house your parents lived in got your far, huh?

So there you have it, Dartmouth Snobbery, which believe me is alive and well,is the reason my children do not attend Dartmouth Schools. Dartmouth is all about appearances, all about who has what, who lives where. There is very little substance.

BTW, Dartmouth, take a look at THIS article and please keep your major drug dealers and crime lords out of my City, thank-you very much!

-SouthCoast Blogger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you give "a flying you know what."
I was taught by parents who wanted me to do better than they did. We lived in snobby neighborhoods, and some not so. It went both ways. We just never got caught up in "us-vs-them" shenanigans.
As kids I knew grew up, they put away the phony class war and got on with productive lives.
I decided to settle in Dartmouth -- SOUTH Dartmouth -- because that's where the woman I love is. And also because it's close to a city I love: NEW BEDFORD. Read this if you wanna talk about snobs.
It takes all kinds to make the SouthCoast.
Sorry you encountered so many shipwrecks. I'm sure your kids know it's not the contents of the bag, it's the contents of the heart.