Thursday, September 27, 2007

Farewell, Mr. Pimental

I've lived in the South End for 12 years now and I had the absolute pleasure of speaking with Mr. Pimental numerous times, any time the fancy stuck me really. During my time in the City, I have called upon three city Council members, Brian Gomes, Naomi Carney, and Leo Pimental.

Naomi Carney never bothered to return my call, which means she'll never get my vote. Brian Gomes returned my phone call, listened to me intently, but was then off chasing another big story in order to get his name in the paper (again, usually foolishly, like when he wanted to paint all the BB guns orange, I still can't believe he presented that to the State House, must have been a good joke for days) but, I digress.

And of course, I have called Mr. Pimental. I've called to express my concerns over the failing school system that has led me to put my children in private school. I've called to express my disbelief at the 1:00 Friday dismissal at Taylor school that is completely unorganized and chaotic. Surely someday a death will occur. I've called to complain about the falling apart fixtures at Hazelwood Park, and on and on ... Each time Mr. Pimental listened to me, sometimes agreeing with a point and sometimes disagreeing, but always promising to find a solution or at the very least express *MY* (not his) opinion where necessary.

And do you know he did and he would follow up with you, sometimes weeks later when you have completely forgotten about the issue or at least calmed down.I'll never forget the day Mr. Pimental called me back and said "Hi Mrs. Sylvia, I just wanted to let you know that I expressed your opinions to Mr. Longo yesterday". WHAT? You really did? Needless to say I was not only shocked, but very, very impressed.

This went on time and time again and there are many of us down here that can tell you the same story over and over. That's what type of counselor Mr. Pimental was. He truly cared and truly loved his job.The South End will never be the same without it him and it will be impossible to fill "that fat kid from the South End" shoes.

- SouthCoast Blogger

No comments: